2019 RT Educational Foundation Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE RTI EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION?
The RTI Educational Foundation was established to recognize children of RT employees for their achievements at school and in their community. College is expensive. RT wants to help invest in and develop the next generation of our community. The RTI Educational Foundation will award merit-based college scholarships to children of RT employees. Selection will be based on academic promise, leadership, extra-curricular activities, and exemplary citizenship.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Children of RT employees are eligible. Children include natural, adopted, and step children and legal wards who are 24 years of age or younger, of full-time RT employees (32 hours or more per week). The employee must have worked for RT on a full-time basis for 52 weeks leading up to the application deadline.
WHAT IS THE CRITERIA FOR APPLYING?
• Applicants must be (1) in their senior year of high school or (2) currently attending a post-secondary institution or (3) entered the military during the first academic year following the end of their senior year in high school and have been honorably discharged.
• All applicants must be accepted to a qualified post-secondary institution and commence their post-secondary education or training in the first academic year following the end of their senior year in high school. There is an exception, however, for applicants who entered the military during the first academic year following the end of their senior year in high school and were honorably discharged. Such individuals may apply any time after discharge. Applicants currently attending a post-secondary institution may apply for a scholarship for years two through four of their post-secondary education.
WHAT ARE THE SELECTION CRITERIA FOR APPLICANTS?
The RTI Educational Foundation Board has the sole responsibility for selecting recipients, basing the decision on academic promise, qualities of leadership and general promise, and good citizenship.
HOW MUCH SCHOLARSHIP MONEY WILL BE AWARDED?
The Foundation will determine the amount of each award based on the total amount of money available in the fund. The maximum award to scholarship winners will be $2,500 per academic year.
CAN AN AWARD WINNER RECEIVE FUNDING MORE THAN ONE YEAR?
• Scholarships are awarded for one year but will be renewed annually until completion of the course of study in which the student is enrolled, up to 4 years, upon approval of a scholarship renewal submission.
• A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale is required for renewal. If the award winner’s cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for a full academic year, the scholarship will not be renewed. The student may reapply for the scholarship during the next application period.
• The award winner’s parent/guardian must continue to be an employee of Restaurant Technologies on the date(s) any scholarship award is distributed.
WHAT IS THE TIMING?
• All students wishing to apply must complete an application and mail it to the Foundation no later than February 28th of each year.
• No later than April 1st of each year, the Scholarship Committee will select the scholarship winners and determine the amount of each scholarship.
• The scholarship winners will be notified no later than April 15th.
• No later than May 15th, each winner must accept the scholarship by returning an acceptance form to the foundation.
• No later than September 15th, the scholarship funds will be applied directly to the student’s account at the postsecondary school where they are enrolled.
WHERE CAN I LOCATE THE APPLICATION AND ADDITIONAL DETAILS REGARDING SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY?
• An electronic copy of the application will be e-mailed to all employees in January.
• To request a paper copy of the application, please e-mail RTIEdFdn@rti-inc.com and we will mail one to you.
• You can print a copy of the application by going to the RT Intranet under Departments>RTI Educational Foundation.
HOW CAN I HELP?
We would like to fund as many scholarships as possible for our RT families. If you are interested, you can donate to the fund for the program. Whether or not you have or will have a student, donations in any amount will make a difference in opening doors for our young people. To make a donation, you can write a one-time check to the RTI Educational Foundation or arrange for direct deduction(s) from your paycheck through benefits enrollment in ADP. Contact RTIEdFdn@rti-inc.com to learn more and start impacting the future today.